These simple tips will help you stay virus and spyware free, even if you’re connected to the internet 24 hours a day.
1. Protect yourself
Good protection on the Internet these days consists of 3 components: anti-virus software, anti-spyware software and a firewall.
Good virus protection doesn’t need to cost you a fortune. You can get excellent free anti-virus software at www.avast.com. Even the professional version of their software is very affordable.
For spyware protection, go to www.lavasoft.com and download Ad-Aware, also free. This will zap the most common spyware and adware found on the Internet.
As for a firewall, Windows 7 ships with a decent enough firewall. Just make sure it is always enabled. Alternatively you can visit a site like www.download.com and search for Zone Alarm, which has an excellent free version.
Microsoft has also released “Microsoft Security Essentials” which can be downloaded via Microsoft Updates or from www.microsoft.com/downloads which does an excellent job of protecting against virus’s, spyware, and malware.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to keep your anti-virus software up to date. An anti-virus program that uses definitions that are months old is just about useless.
Update your anti-virus and anti-spyware software at least once a week or set it to update automatically when you are connected to the internet.
2. Stop opening every attachment you receive.
Most of the devastating worms and viruses of recent times were distributed via email. These viruses feed on the curiosity and also the ignorance of a huge number of email users. People will get an email from fakename@weirdsuspiciousdomain and they’ll just open whatever file is attached to it.
If you don’t know the sender, don’t open the attachment – just delete it.
If the email is from someone you know, always scan any attachments first before downloading or opening them.
If every email user in the world followed these simple guidelines the distribution of viruses via email will grind to a halt.
3. Stay clear of pornographic and illegal software sites
If you want to pick up viruses and spyware quickly, visit some pornographic web sites. One wrong click on a subtle little pop-up or security warning window (which you’ll run into often on these type of sites) and you’ll have infested yourself with trojan horses, spyware, dialers and other unfavorable software that could leave your computer wide open to further attacks.
The same goes for web sites distributing software, serial codes and cracks illegally (warez).
Simply put – keep out of the dark side of the web and the odds of keeping your computer clean shifts decidedly in your favor.
4. Watch out what you download
Spyware is embedded in a lot of software on the Internet – especially those related to ripping, converting and playing music and videos. That free MP3 player or DVD Ripper you just downloaded may have installed a bunch of harmful spyware without you even knowing about it.
5. Keep yourself informed
Major anti-virus software developers like Symantec and Grisoft updates their sites regularly with the latest virus alerts. Visit these sites frequently to keep yourself aware of what threats are doing the rounds and how to avoid them.
Using these simple steps and software I have kept my computer virus-free for the past 3 years. It’s not rocket science. Just stay alert, use some common sense and you too can stay bug free while still enjoying your Internet experience.
Who is TEK 1st?
TEK 1st, provides IT Outsourcing and consulting services for small to medium-sized businesses in the Dallas, Fort Worth, TX, DFW Metroplex.
A few reasons for outsourcing.
- Save money
- Improve Security
- Increase Productivity
- Focus on strategy
- Improve compliance
- Improve accuracy
- Lack of in-house experience
- Take advantage of technological advances
- Offer services you otherwise could not
- Focus on core business processes
Why Choose Us?
- TEK 1st is committed to reducing your businesses IT overhead by leveraging emerging information technologies to provide you with the highest level of quality services, products, customer service and security.
- Our five-step methodology will give you the assurance that your network performs consistently and efficiently.
- Your networking infrastructure will be able to effortlessly adjust to your changing business requirements for years to come.
- Our network consultants use industry standards and principles, reputable products, and best practices to provide network solutions that support your business.
- TEK1st has everything that you need to manage your computer networks while allowing you to provide services you may not have thought possible.
- Outsourcing your IT operations to TEK1st allows you to leverage the skills of knowledgeable IT professionals specialized in the specific services that your IT department needs assistance with.
- New technologies are emerging at a rapid pace, making it nearly impossible for your IT staff to stay up to date.
- TEK 1st is the right choice for IT consulting in Dallas, Fort Worth, DFW and surrounding areas to help your business reduce overhead and achieve new performance levels.
What services do we provide?
IT Consulting for Your Constantly Changing Business Needs:
- Server and Workstation Support
- Infrastructure Design and Installation
- Hardware and Software Solutions
- On-Site and Remote Support
- Network and Internet Security
- Email and Virus Protection
- Backup and Recovery
- Expertise and Specialization
- Project Management
- Help Desk Solutions for End-User Support
…To name a few